Saturday, January 30, 2010

Marley and Me by John Grogan



While Marley and Me may technically be nonfiction, it reads like a beautiful work of fiction. It is the story of a dog and the role he plays in his owner’s lives as they journey through the ups and down of life and the journey into civilized adulthood.

Right from the start Marley terrorizes the peaceful life John and Jenny have created. He destroys their house and pushes them to their limits. The situation only gets worse as the couple begin to have children. They constantly go back and forth on whether to keep Marley or find him a new home. By the end of the story, they realize that even with his antics Marley has played an important role in the story of their lives.

I got a puppy shortly after college when I was living on my own. I quickly realized I had made a huge mistake. When I seemed to be at my wits end with my dog, someone begged me to read Marley and Me before I took her back to the pound. As I finished the book I hugged Rizz through a haze of tears and promised her she would live out all her days with me. I still have Rizz, and she’s my best friend.

Marley and Me is heart-wrenching and beautifully written. Anyone who has ever loved a dog will love this book. Please, please, please don’t just settle for the movie. You need to feel the power and emotion behind John Grogan’s words. You will love this family and more importantly you will love Marley.

No comments:

Post a Comment